Tel: 704.483.4908
Fax: 704.483.2170

Frequently Asked Questions

When/Why should I have my land surveyed?

  • When buying land and you do not clearly know where the property line is on the ground.
  • When selling land and you do not clearly know where the property line is on the ground.
  • When land is not clearly defined by a plat, legal description, or older Land Survey.
  • When you cannot be certain of the location of your property corners.
  • When building, Land Surveying often used to determine drainage, setbacks, and proper planning by many.
  • Before land is divided. When a lending institution requires a survey for a mortgage.
  • Before building a fence, building, shed, or anything close to an unknown property line.
  • Before timber is to be cut near a property line.
  • When purchasing title insurance.
  • When applying for a "Torrens Title" to "register" you and your land title.
  • Whenever a boundary line or corner is unknown or in disagreement.
  • To settle a boundary dispute of some type.
  • When you think you might have an encroachment on your land.
  • When clearing or doing construction in "wetland" areas in the jurisdiction of the Corps of Engineers.
  • Before developing property.
  • Many times, an Attorney, Bank or title insurance agent will require that a Land Surveyor clear up an ambiguous land description, or verify the location of structures on the property so that the lending institution can agree to finalize a loan.

What about building a fence?

Check with your local government agency that governs any requirements about a fence. Though some governmental agencies do not require a survey to issue a building permit to build a fence, you should know where your property lines are before construction.

How Close to the property line can i build my fence?

Check with your local public agency that governs any requirements about a fence. There is usually confusion in this area of what to do. Some people believe that they have the right to build right “on the property line”. But this approach has drawbacks. What about the size of the footings for the fence posts? Do they encroach over the property line? How do you maintain the other side of the fence? Will you have to use your neighbors property to paint or stain your new fence?

Many of these misconceptions about “general rules of fencing” are often hearsay and rumor. A practical approach is to always check with your local governing agency to see if there are requirements to satisfy for location, height requirements, and Land Surveys if required. A Land Surveyor employed by you can also offer you some advice on the pros and cons of the location of your fence. Having a Land Surveyor work with you also makes sure the construction of the fence does not remove your property

How many square feet are in an acre?

There are 43,560 square feet in an acre.

How big is an acre?

An acre is approximately 210' X 210.'

How do I get my house out of a flood plain?

Getting a house or structure out of a flood plain typically requires: 1) An Elevation Certificate for the subject home and 2) Submitting the Elevation Certificate and other documents to FEMA for final removal.

How long does it take to do a mortgage/house location for a closing?

These surveys usually take 4 to 5 days to complete.

What do I need to do if I want to divide my land into separate parcels?

The first step that needs to be taken is to contact the building and land office for the county your parcel is in, they can determine if and how the property can be divided. The next step would be to call and schedule to have a survey done of the property.

What areas/locations do you survey in?

Our company services all of the Lake Norman area within a 25 mile radius.

Where is your office located?

Our office is located at 4837 Hwy 16 North Denver , NC 28037 .
Click for directions to our office